Monday, August 22, 2011

Women in comics.. I love cheesecake.

I recently stumbled on this blog. After I bandaged my toe... I decided this was a really good thing.

I was having a conversation earlier this weeks that comics needed to diversify and break up the monotony of guys doing stories about guys in tights. It needs to be more than that. I worry that comics will go the way of the video laser-disc, beta-max and rotary phone. A sure fire way to keep that from happening is to bring new people into the hobby

When I go to a comic store.. everyone else I see... Its like fun-house mirrors.. I just see a distorted version of myself or someone I used to be or someone I'm afraid to become.

Back in the 40's and 50's there used to be lots of "girl comics" Just check out the variety in Overstreet's title listings. Romance, fashion, love stories gone wrong. There were ONCE upon a time comics for girls. I don't see why there cant be comics for girls again. That's where Womanthology comes in.

The Womanthology is seemingly a single edition heralding female comic creators. I love the idea. I wish it was more than that. I'd like to see a kind of "Image" imprint publishing clone where the primary creative forces were women. That would be neat.

I'm all for anything that brings new people into the hobby. Why cant it be girls making comics for people? I wish them well and respect them for having the moxie and resource to make it happen.

I'll keep an eye out. You have my attention. Please knock my socks off with good stuff and don't rest on a gimmick.

1 comment:

  1. I want so badly to write comics, I can't even tell you. I can't even articulate it enough to write comics and put them up on Keenspace or something. YET. Before the year is out, I'm putting something up, even if it's just a rehash of my silly old webcomic thing from back in the days when everyone had a webcomic...

    This is all to say that if someone opens a publishing platform or imprint all for the ladies to prove they can do it too, I'm all over that.

    ~;)

    ReplyDelete